Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Lures of Sin


Pr. 7 warns against the adulteress and her lures; I suspect that there are some principles in her approach that are reflective of all sin.

- Permission - although we know the sin is wrong, we try to justify it one way or another - "today I have paid my vows"

- Pride - oftentimes the lures of sin appeal to our pride, even back in the garden with the invitation to be like God - "to seek your presence earnestly" [It's also worth noting that she/sin doesn't actually care a bit about him; he is a piece of meat to her; but she will make him feel important.]

- Pleasure - sin always promises some pleasure or another; even while we are miserable in our sin our flesh still has a sick enjoyment in it - "let us delight ourselves with caresses"

- Promise - sin also paints itself as a consequence-free endeavor; "you will not surely die" - "at full moon he will come home."

So then, in fighting sin, we can watch for these commonalities and respond with a Scriptural perspective on each issue:

- As Jesus responded to the devil, who tried to twist Scripture into justifying sin, by quoting God's commands right back at him, so we must refute the justifying endeavors of the flesh by simply responding with God's Word. "I really have a right to be angry right now. I can't believe he did that to m- WAIT. The anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God." (Matt. 4:1-11)

- When pride becomes part of the equation (which it almost always is), we need to identify the area of self-focus, self-exaltation, the area where I am big and Jesus and others are small. In the above example, notice the focus on self- *I* have a right to be angry; *I* can't believe *he* did that to *me.* I am no longer thinking of myself as an unworthy recipient of the grace of God who deserves nothing better than eternal judgment for my sin; if I was, I wouldn't be so worked up over something so small, but would rather realize that I don't deserve any better! I am also no longer thinking of the other guy as more important than myself. (Phil. 2:3)
-  We must identify the pleasure that sin is promising and remind ourselves that we won't actually get pleasure from this sin, even here and now; it will at best be passing and overshadowed by guilt. Then let us simply get a glimpse of the beauty and joy to be had in God's path of life, and the pleasures of sin will be overwhelmingly eclipsed. (John 15:11)

- Sin promises that "you shall not surely die." We feel like it's worth it; we'll get away with it and there won't be consequences. But we must remind ourselves that its end is "the way of death;" rather than looking at what sin says the harvest will be, we should read God's warnings written on the package of seeds. He has warned us what those pleasures will cost in 2, 12, 20 years. He offers life, and we would be wise to focus our hearts on the rewards *He* promises, which are far richer than any fake delights sin can offer. (Pr. 9)

No comments: